Thursday, January 3, 2013

Keep on Keeping On


Keep on Keeping On
January 3, 2013
There are several things I can’t quite believe as I sit here in my favorite spot at the Be Like Brit Orphanage (the second floor terrace, facing north towards the Caribbean and the island of La Gonaive).  First, I can’t believe I’m really here.  I also can’t believe that I’ve been here a week.  In the past week, I’ve somehow managed to become somewhat of a supervisor to a small contingent of painters and carpenters who require almost constant pushing, direction, and redirection.  Don’t get me wrong, the workers we have here at Be Like Brit are great, from all that I know of them.  Each morning, as their fearless leader Gama gathers them just inside the gates and rallies them for one more 10, 12, or even 20 hour day, stressing the importance of finishing on time and the magnitude of the event that is about to unfold, I cannot help but be taken aback by it all.  Through Britney, this crew of Haitian men and women and a spattering of American blan have become an overwhelming force for good.  And to witness it is nothing short of amazing.

In our final push to finish Brit’s Orphanage on time and in preparation of the dedication ceremony and the arrival of some 70 guests this weekend, we have pushed our crews hard.  I have managed to get more work out of six painters in one day than I was in the previous 3; perhaps the result of learning better how to motivate a Haitian crew, but more than likely the fact that they know how significant this event is, and while they, like many of us, did not know Britney Gengel, the essence of who she was somehow has made its way into their souls.  Because of this, they carry on.  Each time a task is finished, a proud, smiling man runs up to me and exclaims, “fini” as he asks what I need done next.  The excitement is refreshing and revealing.  It’s hard for me to keep from feeling guilty about all of those times I lamented my lot in life; my job that I maybe didn’t care for, dreading another morning stuck behind a desk, or waiting tables, or whatever.  Listening to Americans discuss how dissatisfied they are with their work and opportunities becomes almost infuriating after witnessing the reality of work in much of the world.

Yesterday, a crew of 50+ men worked until 4:00am mixing and pouring concrete by hand so that the road up the mountain to Be Like Brit would be ready for the arrival of our guests.  I’m certain part of their motivation was the additional pay, though I’m not convinced that’s the only reason they agreed to an almost 24 hour work day.  A plate of rice as incentive maybe helped a bit, but I believe the motivation came from the heart – because they know how hard all have worked to make Britney’s dream a reality, and they know that realizing that dream is just about a day away.

How very fortunate we at Be Like Brit are to have workers who put their hearts in it, even when their muscles ache and their feet swell and their bellies are hungry.  How very refreshing it is to see people take such pride in their work.  How very blessed I feel to be able to be a part of it all.
Thanks for reading,
Jonathan

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan, I will follow your blog, and hope others look to it from facebook too. Everyone is so used to seeing stuff on facebook, it may take a while for them to know you are also posting more of a journal here! I will try to share the word! Thank you for what you are doing, and the work that you have been able to assist in accomplishing in your last week there.

    From the pix, it seems the dedication was a wonderful time and a special time for so many.

    We will be praying for the families of the workers who have depended on Be like Brit, and they may now have "not so much" work to do. We will pray for your soon to be and your current staff that will care for and make arrangements for the incoming children. We will also pray for the permits, and applications and the like if there are any pending for the children to begin arriving!

    Know that you have an army behind you in the states Jonathan. Bless you and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie! I appreciate it! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete