Sunday, February 3, 2013

And Then There Were Seven


On January 21, 2013 we welcomed our first child in to the Be Like Brit Orphanage here in Grand Goâve, Haiti.  This date was significant in that it just so happens to be Brit’s birthday.  Believe me when I say that the timing was serendipitous.  We had considered trying to bring a child in on that day for obvious reasons, but decided that we would wait for it to happen naturally – to not confine ourselves to a boxed window of time for the sake of symbolism.  So, when it just so happened that Kervins came to us on January 21, 2013, it’s clear that fate played a hand.
Kervins on his first day of school!
As the program director, one of my duties is to search for children who might be eligible for our program here at Be Like Brit.  In a place like Haiti, when word gets out that the new orphanage on the hill is ready to bring children inside its protective walls, the response is overwhelming.  For the first week or so, women brought children in by the dozens, some with heart-wrenching stories of abandonment, desertion, unemployment, starvation, and of course, death.    Others, though, seemed eerily happy at the prospect of bringing their child to our doorstep; they may not have as dire a need as some of the other women, but rather regarded the opportunity to come to Be Like Brit as what we might recognize in the West as the equivalent of admission into a prestigious boarding school or elite club.

Overwhelmed by the response, and quite frankly a bit taken aback by how freely women would offer up their children to us, seemingly without emotion or consideration, I decided to shift my approach.  Instead of asking women to come to us, I made up my mind to reach out to the community myself.  Alongside my Haitian sidekick Rosenie, we took to the roads and mountains in our area in search of children we had heard needed to be helped.



I’m no stranger to community outreach work.  I’ve conducted research in some of the poorest areas of New Orleans with chronically homeless, mentally ill, HIV-positive, and substance dependent individuals.  I’ve witnessed what I thought were tough conditions. 

A decade ago or so I worked in international business in China, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines.  I’ve certainly seen some of the world’s worst slums; some of the most vulnerable and exploited people in factories and on assembly lines working 15 hours a day for pennies and housed en masse in tenuous dormitory housing.

Most recently I spent three months in Rwanda working with an orphanage there, and was exposed to the harsh realities of life in East Africa in a post-Genocidal society still reeling from civil war and the unraveling of the social fabric of the country.

I figured I’d be prepared for whatever I might find in the hills and mountains of Haiti.  I was wrong.
While I don’t mean to bring my readers “down” – the reality, the truth – is that the conditions in which the Haitian people live in are among the worst in the world.  Time and again, as we would round a corner and come upon the next “house” where we knew orphaned children were living, my level of tolerance would be breached, like the levees in New Orleans, and the flood of emotion and visceral reaction to what I found before me was exceeded time and again.

So, one by one, I interviewed these families.  I interviewed the children through the use of an interpreter.  I tried to get some insights into their life, though in all honesty, one doesn’t really need an interview guide and assessment tool to figure out if this particular family or group needs help.  It’s obvious in the smell that invades all five of your senses.  It’s in the sights that make your stomach turn and your eyes wince.  It’s in the tears that well up in your eyes when you bid a one room house of 10 a “Bonswa” and a “Mesi” while you climb back into your ATV and record notes on people who can’t even sign their own name in order to give away their children.

The decision on whether to bring them to Be Like Brit or not is never one taken lightly.  It’s never easy.  I never feel great about taking a child or children from the only home and family they know.  Moreover, it’s never easy on the children.  The first night with each of our new children is almost invariably a long one.  Tears, confusion, lost little eyes looking for something, anythingfamiliar. 

But then there’s the second day, and the third day.  And watching these children transform from naked, hungry, and neglected to clothed, fed, loved, smiling, playful, happy children – even in as little amount of time as a week or two is why I am here in Haiti doing what I am doing. 

And then there’s this morning:  After an emotional week for all of us, especially the children who find themselves here, waking up early, dressing well for church, eating breakfast, laughing and smiling all along the way – this is when I feel good about my decision.
After a few takes, almost everyone is smiling for the camera!
Don’t get me wrong.  I recognize that there is an adjustment period for everyone involved.  For those who arrive new, they must get used to their new environment.  From the taken for granted things in our everyday lives like turning on a sink to brush your teeth, or sitting on a toilet and flushing it away, to flipping on a light switch when it’s dark – all of this is new and amazing to them.  For those who are already here, the status quo gets shifted, and our obligations as caregivers and providers grow exponentially in negotiating that delicate balance of making everyone feel safe, loved, worthy.

I loved my work in Rwanda.  I got to spend three months with 100 children.  They were an established, existing organization.  I didn’t have to hear their stories, meet their families or be witness to their squalor.  Starting from scratch, every detail on every child makes its way through me.  In that way, I feel very blessed and very fortunate.  I will know each of their names, each of their families, each of their histories.  I will know them.  Because of this, I have been able to forge the greatest of relationships with each of the children that Be Like Brit now cares for.

Being a part of this process is unlike anything I had imagined.  Even when it’s hard – and we all knew it would be hard – it is the most precious and wonderful way to spend a day, a week, and now – a month!
First there was one, and now we are seven.  Our work is important, our work is good.  And our work depends on the continued support of readers like you.  Thank you for helping realize Brit’s dream, and through that, letting me live mine.
All smiles! 
Thanks for reading,
Jonathan



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful children. I am so touched by your blog. My God's grace be with you each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Jonathan for Sharing your Poignant Piece here. You have a wonderful Heart, and your compassion rings true! I hope to one day come visit the children at Be Like Brit, as well as to experience the People and Culture. I hope that efforts are being made to accommodate these Poor Parents that have barely had any choice other than to give up there children. I hope that 'reunification' is the Ultimate goal for these families in Utter Poverty and Impoverished Conditions. I am considering Service Work as I am Graduating this spring, are there any Vista or Americ Corp Positions there, I have been thinking about Relief work in Louisiana too. I hail from the State of Maine, USA~Take Care and Be Well, and Big Hugs to all of the Children~They are just LOVELY~<3~each and every one!~precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went to graduate school in Louisiana at Tulane in New Orleans - lots of great work to do there, too! Best of luck!
      Jonathan

      Delete
  3. What a way to express your love, you are one special young man. Be Like Brit is so very lucky to have someone taking on this responsibility. I read your story and the way you are handling who will be living at the orphange is very loyal. Len and Cheryle
    must be so proud. you are doing everything Brit would have done. She's watching over every move and she's leading the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Cummings-LevasierFebruary 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

    Oh my god, what a wonderful work you do. Although I realize how hard, emotional heartbreaking it must me to "choose" who gets to come to live at "Be like Britts" it must be so rewarding to see the results after the first few days. I have said it before and say it again; You people are the most inspiring bunch of individuals I have ever seen. You sure have a guiding light behind you and you do god's work in this place. I envy you for the expierience, it must be truly so rewarding to see the smile at the end of the day. I wish I could do more to help, but I can't, was only able to buy the book. I follow you every day and can not wait to see another pic or story of your blog. You were choosen to do this, what a privilege. I hope my message comes across, english is not my 1. language, hope I have expressed what I feel for all of you at "Be like Britt's" God bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. Its so heartbreaking to read. I can't imagine being there and seeing life as it is first hand. They are so lucky to have you guiding those children to a better life. It's obvious that you really love what you are doing and even more obvious that you have made so many people extremely proud of you...especially your mother. She is a special person who has raised such a loving, caring and compassionate son!! I know its hard for her to have you so far away, but the help you have to offer and the beautiful stories you will post expressing the love you have for such unfortunate children will make it a lot easier for her. Keep up your fantastic work. I will enjoy reading your blog about Be Like Brit:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What A wonderful journey you have decided to be a part of. Is this a non-profit organization, and if so, where do we find information about ways to help you and the children at Be Like Brit? I'm thinking a Google search may assist me but so many people will read this, as I did, and donations could sure help ya'll out that posting a website or link is a must. May God continue to bless you and the children of Be Like Brit.

    ReplyDelete